Friday, October 31, 2008

free writing

So far, I know what type of product I am selling which is custom chocolates. This consists of chocolate sculptures to decorative chocolate with pictures and patterns. I plan on having the space more modern and unique. Not like all the other chocolate stores you see. There is going to be beautiful large displays of the products. I would like to incorporate a window so the customers can see the chocolate sculptors in action as well as a tasting station that will guarantee the satisfaction of our chocolate to the customer. All this works together because this chocolate store is going to be a specialty and unique store, meaning it is selling specialty products yet architecturally looks unique. Since this is not your typical chocolate store, it is all custom, then the store should show it. I feel that my design and product selection ties in with Revolution Mills because it is unique as well. Revolution Mills houses stores like salons and photography studios however one does not consider it a mall. They are specialty stores, more high-end stores. Revolution Mills is trying to draw people in by having unique stores, not ones you can go to every mall and find. Stores that only you can find at Revolution Mills. This is why I believe that this custom chocolate store will fit in with Revolution Mills because it is unique. However, being that it is the only chocolate store in the mill, it will make it even more unique to the mill. I also think that this applies to Greensboro as well. Yes, there is I am sure many chocolate stores here in Greensboro but not all of them will cater to your needs like this store. This store makes all chocolates to your specific needs and desires instead of going and buying products that might have only a few things you like in it or it is not personal. This will give Greensboro a unique and special gift shop!


Inside a customers head…
When I first approached the custom chocolate store I noticed the chocolate sculptures, pictures and other specialty designed chocolates in beautiful display window. Chocolate leaves were hung all throughout the store front windows to look like leaves falling from the trees and chocolate pumpkins sat on shelves in the window as well. When I walked in I was greeted by a lovely sales associate that offered to assist me if I needed anything. The store was well laid out with many chocolates displayed in their decorative boxes. The store was simple and did not take away from the chocolate yet beautiful to enhance the uniqueness of the chocolates. It was easy to order my costume chocolate but the only difficult thing was there were so many beautiful choices to choose from. My order will be ready soon but I could not leave without getting some chocolate. I chose some with modern patterns on them in a very neat caring case. Upon leaving the store the sales associate was very friendly and I left with my recycled paper bag in hang feeling happy with my purchases!

2 comments:

Allison Conley said...

i think that custom chocolates will give you a lot of design freedom in the ways of packaging and display and you can really push your design far with that. it would be neat if you had examples of specialty chocolates for various occasions displayed somehow other than a typical book such as some photography of wedding chocolates, birthday chocolates, etc or something digital that flipped through specialized chocolates that may not be on display. are you also selling chocolate pieces that can bought if you are walking through the store craving a little bit?

aw said...

So it sounds like you want to really play up the seasonal selections in your store. From the way you describe your store, I imagine you have a few of those master chefs from the food network who do crazy things with edible media- they can stretch and mod and glaze and do all sorts of crazy things with chocolate. So it sounds like a big draw would be the entertainment as well as the product, but it would be very gourmet and artistic -differentiating it from the likes of the "Fudge Factory." I like the question from the other day- how do you plan on the store feeling?

The temperature must be kept very cool but do you want it to visual feel warm. You want clean, modern lines. This might be a way to highlight your product even more. The only thing in the store that is organic in feel and in form is the chocolate...

I love your enthusiasm for the product (although, I pity the fool who doesn't like chocolate!) I think a unique challenge will be how to spotlight the chocolate...and how do you want people to move through the store? Is there a chocolate bar- you said there is a tasting area. Is there lounge seating for them to linger or do you want a constant flow of traffic?

You said you want large displays- I could see really cool, monumental size chocolate sculptures- very abstract or like marble. Maybe its like an artisans' shop or workshop- but with chocolate.

Sounds like a fun shop- keep exploring possibilities! I could see you designing a package for the chocolates that could inspire the whole design of the store. It could be a concise, compact way to approach the qualities you want in the space.