Sunday, October 26, 2008

precedent study

RIVER STREET SWEETS



(photos courtesy of river street sweets)

My inspiration for the project originally came from this candy store. Located in Charleston, South Carolina, it’s known world wide for their fudge and pralines. I personally have been to this store and was amazed by how delicious every thing was, how nice the staff was, and how neat and cozy the store was. I chose to use their most famous products for my boutique that include a several flavors of fudge, and pralines, and nuts (cashews, peanuts, pecans and almonds). I also took inspiration for the way they package most of their products. They use decorative boxes and ribbons to create beautiful towers, which make great gifts.


CHOCOLATE.COM



(photos courtesy of chocolate)
This is an online store that distributes their chocolates to many different stores around the United States. What caught my eye from this online store was the way they packaged their product. They have taken a more modern, fun and hip approach to the design of their package. This was accomplished by the bright colors and patterns such as polka dots. Even a solid color box with a colorful ribbon makes the product appealing and modern as well.



100% CHOCOLATE CAFÉ


Just by looking at this picture, I have this huge craving for chocolate! I love the contrast of colors between brown furniture and the white walls and floors. The main reason this picture attracts my attentions is the lighting. I love how the some of the lighting is hidden which creates an illuminated wall and floor. This also adds to the contrast between colors and possibly even materials. I also find the ceiling to be very interesting since it resembles chocolate. This could be a neat design in my space but not as ceiling, perhaps a wall, who knows.


CONCEPT ROOM


I love this room for several reasons. First off, the modern and elegant design is as of right now, the direction I am going in and this space speaks it well with the elegant chandelier and walls and the modern furniture. I think the walls create a unique look, with the metallic accent, when the light hits it. Like I said before about 100% Chocolate Café, this room has a great contrast between materials and colors. I really like how every thing is black and white with a punch of red to add some drama. I also like how it is a simple space with not a lot of clutter but yet it still makes a bold statement.

HERSHEY’S

Obviously Hershey’s is a chocolate store however, that is not the reason I chose this space. This space resembles Revolution Mills with high ceilings and concrete floors. I like the choice of lighting in this space. The pendent lighting looks as if they are floating in the air because the cable is very thin. This creates a really interesting and modern effect.


BAR AT HOTEL PLAZA ATHENEE



(photos courtesy of Ultimate Lighting Design pgs. 386-389)
The lighting in this bar transforms the place into looking like fire and ice. The chandelier above radiates a range of colors created by varying intensity of red and blue lights. Throughout the night the lighting changes, blue in the early evening and gradually deepens into a dark red at the end of the night. Being that chocolate can be a seductive dessert, this lighting is as well. Chocolate is a soothing happiness that you eat and this lighting can be too. It can create moods just like chocolate can. I feel that lighting will play a large amount in my design.

No comments: